Skip to main content

 Hearts Rosary Newsletter

ALONG THE WAY – I got a great big love tap to the head from the Holy Spirit

 I have been praying the Surrender Novena for many years, often on repeat. But sometimes I wonder whether the words become so familiar that I pray them by rote rather than in earnest:

 Jesus, I surrender myself to You, take care of everything.

 This week I received a great big reminder of what those words really mean.

 I know without a doubt that I have surrendered my current season to the Lord. It took me a while to get here, and when the pain is at its peak, sometimes I have to surrender all over again. But I know that I am loved beyond measure and that Jesus is with me in every moment.

 My physical journey and my spiritual journey are two different things. Physically, not much may have changed. There are still flare-ups, cramps, chronic pain, limited mobility, sleepless nights and days when ordinary things require new ways of doing them. I continue to seek treatments that may help and I have hope that things can change.

 Spiritually, however, something has changed.

 After my second surgery, and particularly during this past year when my body wasn't responding to some of the typical treatments or recovering as I had hoped, I prayed, surrendered and finally began to let go. Chronic pain may be something I must learn to live with for a time—or perhaps longer. I don't know.

 But Jesus does.

 So, I try to accept each day as it comes, offer what I am experiencing to Him and ask Him to use it as He wills. I can hope for healing while accepting where I am today. Those things are not opposite. His grace allows me to do both.

It's not always easy, but Grazie a Dio, it is working for me in this season.

 Or so I thought.

 This week, while praying with St. Michael's Lent Challenge on Hallow, I received what I can only describe as a great big love tap to the head from the Holy Spirit.

During one of the meditations, Fr. Isaiah asked us to consider: Where in my life am I saying, “Not yet,” to God? What am I still holding back rather than fully surrendering to Jesus?

 I prayed about it. I pondered it. I asked the Holy Spirit to reveal whatever I was holding tightly in my hands.  Nothing came.  Days passed, and I kept returning to the question.

 Fr. Isaiah also spoke about surrender not simply as giving something up but recognizing the presence of Someone more. Surrender is about Who we are giving ourselves to.

 And there it was.

 My beloved.

 I pray for John always, but since his melanoma diagnosis, my prayers have become a constant mixture of petition—and worry.  At night, when my beloved is sleeping soundly beside me, I sometimes reach over and place my hand on the scars from his surgery and pray. I pray for his healing, his tests, his doctors, his medical team and whatever treatment or monitoring may come next.

 But then my mind races ahead.

 What will the tests show? What comes next? What if this? What if that?

 Sometimes I wake during the night not only because of my own pain, but because I am worrying about him.

 There it was—the place I had not surrendered.

 I had surrendered myself. I had surrendered my pain, my recovery, my uncertainty and the possibility that my life might look different than I expected.  But surrendering my beloved was another story.

 And then came another grace.

 For the first time, I understood more deeply what John has been experiencing as he has watched me go through surgeries, pain and a difficult recovery. He has told me how helpless he sometimes feels watching me hurt when he cannot make it better.  Now I understand.

 Love makes us want to protect the person we love. It makes us want to fix what hurts, know what comes next and somehow stand between our beloved and suffering.

But we can't.  And perhaps that is where surrender becomes especially difficult—and especially beautiful.

 As much as I love John, Jesus loves him even more than I can fathom.

 I don't have to hold my beloved more tightly out of fear. I can place him into the hands of the One who gave him to me.  I can pray. I can accompany him to appointments. I can hold his hand. I can advocate, encourage, listen, love and walk beside him through whatever comes next.  But I cannot control the outcome.

 Jesus, I surrender my beloved to You. Take care of everything.

 Last week I shared:

 The cross is real. The suffering is real. But neither gets the final word. Christ does.

 I believe that.  And this season is teaching me that surrender means believing it not only for myself, but for the person I love most in this world.

 Praise be to God for the many ways He reaches us—the Scriptures, the saints, a priest's words, the sister of my heart, the person sleeping beside us, and even those great big love taps from the Holy Spirit that remind us to loosen our grip and trust Him.

 Jesus, I surrender it all to You.

Take care of everything.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spine Surgery, Faith and Gratitude - A Long Road to Recovery

It's been awhile since I've shared on my blog, and this post was not at all what I had planned to share about, and certainly not as much, its long, yet here it is...... and so I'm hoping that my story may resonate and bring some hope to others who may be gong through something similar.  If it strikes a chord let me know, I'll do my best to share the journey.....because for me anyway, it's just beginning.  In August, I underwent emergency spinal surgery to remove a fractured disc between L3 and L4. The disc had shifted and was pressing directly on my spinal cord, leaving me unable to sit, stand, or walk, and in excruciating pain from my back down the right side of my body—all the way to my foot. It was terrifying, and the pain was like nothing I’d ever experienced. I had surgery on a Sunday morning, and that moment marked the beginning of a long road to healing. Anyone who’s had spine surgery knows recovery isn’t quick or easy. But I’ve been so incredibly blessed a...
  A little break from making St. Joseph's bread for a reflection on keeping my focus on Jesus.

Christmas Eve

  Our Frist Christmas together in Texas - 1982 It's Christmas Eve morning and I am excited for whatever the day brings especially the coming of the birth of Jesus and the blessings and grace that await each new day.  This morning I’m also reflective with emotions and thoughts about my dad who died 23 years ago on Christmas Morning and my mom who died 27 years ago in November. In my heart I know that they are together in heaven celebrating with Jesus and all those I love who have gone home to glory and that brings peace and comfort to my heart. My heart is also filled with so much gratitude because my parents left us with so many wonderful traditions and family memories, family was everything to them. They always instilled in us a spirit of gratitude and unconditional love, and I am so grateful that never was there ever a time that I talked to my mom or dad that I did not tell them how much I loved them. I was by mom’s side when she drew her last breath and I saw the lov...