Skip to main content

Present in the moment






Have you ever taken a spontaneous trip or had a little adventure that turned out to be one of the best times ever?

That was us celebrating our wedding anniversary in 2015.  We started out with a long weekend at the Cape and had a wonderful side trip for the day to Martha's Vinyard.  Then on Labor day we headed back home with a week off and no specific plan.

And as we found out, sometimes those spontaneous vacations are the BEST! This one was for us. 

The day after we were back from Cape Cod we had a relaxing morning and slept in and on a whim decided we wanted to go out for a late breakfast and take a drive to the White Mountains even though it was approaching mid day.

On our way we found a great place to eat and then headed north. We began and as it turns out ended our day at Lost River, in large part because we got there so late in the day.  We walked and hiked the whole trail taking our time and enjoying every view along the way.  What a blessed trip it was, and what a blessings as I was on a healther journey and because I had been working out was in great shape for all the walking and climbing we did that day.  We spent the whole afternoon there and in fact they close at dusk and we were one of the last to leave.

Next came a drive along the Kangamangus Highway, a beautiful stretch through the mountains of New Hampshire with little watering holes and campgrounds along the side of the road that climbs to high elevations and has spectacular viewing places along the way.  Our goal was to catch the sunset at one of the higher viewing levels along the way and to eventually get some dinner since we hadn't had anything but water since our late breakfast. 

The sunset at one of the lookouts was gorgeous and we spent some time there taking it all in. And being so grateful for God's beautiful creation and that we lived in such close proximity to so many wonderful places.  Instead of turning back to head, we continue to drive the long drive through the Kangamangus all the way around to North Conway.

It was close to 9 PM when we got into North Conway. We were hungry and tired and still several hours from home.  And as it turned out noticed that we were driving right by a place we stayed before called Adventure Suites.  Adventure suites is a small fun boutique and Inn style hotel with themed rooms and hot tubs and two person jacuzzis in each room and it is located on the main road in North Conway.


We made a spur of the moment decision to stop for the night.  No overnight bags, change of clothes or anything with us.  Neither of us had ever done anything like that before and truth be told it was kind of fun to be able to just walk in and ask if there was a room available.  As it turns out they had several, beginning of the week after labor day, at least for us was a good time to travel.

The Innkeeper showed us a few rooms.  We had stayed in the roman and european spa rooms before.  It was a toss up between the Love Shack Suite with its disco, psychedelic theme and Love Shack song booming over the room speakers and the New York New York Penthouse Suite with its own putting green in the room, lady liberty on the deck and the crooning voice of Sinatra singing the theme song.  The putting green won out and without even a change of clothes, toothbrush or deodorant.  All things we found could be purchased at the 7-11 down the road, change of clothes of course excepted.  We ordered dinner from a local restaurant and brought it back to the room to enjoy and followed that up with a relaxing night and soak in our in room jacuzzi tub soothing those sore muscles from all the walking and hiking of the day at Lost River.

The next day we continued the spontaneous adventuring and made our way to the Castle in the Clouds and spent a full day walking, exploring and discovering the beauty of estate and of course a delicious lunch.  We took this picture while on our way up the Castle, there are walking trails and spots to take in the views and explore the grounds even before you get to the Castle.  We took in every treasure along the way and that's were we took this picture.  


A few weeks ago I was looking at some pictures and thought, how cool, we are celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary this year and we have so many many pictures from our anniversary trips and adventures over the past 7 years so I chose a different one to post as the cover on my facebook page every day.  In doing that, it reminded me of the many many blessings there are in our life together and the gift that my beloved is to me, a true gift from God and one that I cherish, appreciate and am grateful for every day.

I also know with all my heart that we make our memories in the way that we live our lives every day and every moment of each day.  We don't need spontaneous trips and aventures to make things special, for me it is having gratitude in my heart for all things, the joys and the challenges, they are all opportunities to grow closer to God and for me to live my purpose and be the woman that I was created to be.

But I can't help but also look back at the experiences, the planned, the unplanned and spontaneous an be grateful and thankful for every one.

This picture reminded me of one of our most memorable spontaneous anniversary adventures.  And as we celebrate our 7th this year and God willing every one that the good Lord will give us after that I can't help but be excited for what is now and for that which is to come.

But I will tell you this, I believe that those memories and moments that we look back upon with fondness and remembrance will always be there an they will always make themselves if while I am in THIS moment I fully focus on being fully present in the moment that I am in right now.  And that is just what I plan to do.  

Only God knows what will be there to share in years to come.

And that holds true for us all.  My prayer for you today is that your day be filled with grace and blessings and that you are fully present to witness every precious moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearing with the faults of others

Aside from the Bible my all time favorite is the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis and my favorite version of this book that has been reprinted in various versions is the Penguin Classic. I’ve had my copy for well over 20 years and it is highlighted and tabbed and falling apart but it is and always will be my go to!! During Lent I was so excited to pray with the Hallow App and the reason I was so excited was that they were doing reflections on the Imitation of Christ, and it was a blessed Lenten Season with Hallow and that blessing continues for both me and my beloved today as it has become a part of our daily routine. Which I have to say is anything but routine but joyously consistent. Back at the beginning of Lent I ordered a revised translation from Pauline Books, it took a few months but I received the book recently and have been loving it. I enjoy very similar translations to my penguin classic and I am blessed by the reflections and prayers at the end of each section. And

Usefulness of Adversity

  Today the reading I turned to was Usefulness in Adversity. For me it reminds me to draw closer to God, to seek His wisdom and guidance and to always remember that it is He who sees my heart.

Avoiding rash judgement

I love starting my day with a random reading from the Imitation of Christ!  Somehow it always seems to be just what I need to hear for that day.  This morning was no different, the reading was on avoiding rash judgement.