Skip to main content

Morning musings




I have the great blessing of coaching and helping others on their journey to a healthier lifestyle and I am on that journey too.  It's not always easy and there are struggles along the way and right now for many it is a time of struggle.  Coming off the holidays and into the new year.  Maybe starting off strong and then falling off, wanting to get back on track and stumbling more than we'd like.  Knowing spring is around the corner and wanting to get there strong......whatever the reason or wherever we are in the process I think we can all relate at one time or another.
This morning I shared the following thoughts with my group:

I was thinking about how sometimes we all get to a point when it's difficult to shake that downhill trend. 
You know doing good for a few days, then sliding off a bit, getting back in and kind of that cycle. And where at one time or another we have been able to pull out for a good long stretch of going in the direction we want to be going in without frequent side tracks or derails that can set us back from our goals.
And I was thinking about some of the things that I have learned from 2B Mindset and Ilana.
So I wanted to share a few thoughts I had this morning:
One - A consistent breakfast. A couple of staple breakfast choices that we can go between but that keep us on a steady path and help us to get the day started right and with us feeling full and satisfied in the thought that we will keep it going throughout the day.
Two - Weight loss Mode. In short speak, MINDSET. Keeping the goal of losing weight at the forefront of our mind and having that be the choice maker when there are temptations, meal choices and derailing behavior that comes our way. And if you hold tight to faith, use it, look to Jesus and if you feel at that moment you are not strong enough to make the healthy choice, let HIM make it for you and just go with it. Tell yourself, there will always be other opportunities to indulge, to treat, to step off the weight loss platform. BUT THIS TIME, "I am going to stay the course" not going to vere, not going to cave, not going to "treat" just yet. I'm going to FROG it!! FROG - Fully Rely On God. And I am going to proudly walk the weight loss road. In my mind, in my heart, in my actions.
Three - Openness to learning. Learning to lose weight is a LIFE SKILL and its going to take effort. Yes, we put in a LOT LOT LOT of effort, but if we are finding ourselves slipping, shifting, not able to get a good hold, we have to take a look at it. Are we really putting in all the effort that we can? Are we giving it 100%, 100% of the time. If I am honest with myself, it is a resounding NO and the scale is in my face to prove it. So I can continue to resist and not acknowledge I'm not fully in 100% or remind myself I don't have to like it or even want it at the moment, maybe I want to be rebellious, all good, but that changes nothing, I'm still going to do it, because I don't have to "feel" like it, I just HAVE TO DO IT! And that means learning new ways to look at things, new behaviors that replace the old ones, the old narratives that I have been telling myself. Learn new stories, be open to hearing them, go back through videos, research, google, so things to enlighten my mind to hep me keep my attitude positive, to strengthen my mindset so that it is serving ME in the way that I want it to, in helping ME to achieve those goals that I SAY I want. Plain and simple, it's going to take effort and consistent effort at that, even when I don't want to or feel like it. I am going to have to do it ANYWAY!
Four - Be unshakeable, Be secure in what your doing, do not allow yourself to talk yourself into veering from your course. No matter how HANGRY we get, no matter how we want to soothe a hurt, pain, feelings and a suck day. Find other ways to soothe than food, a walk, a talk with a friend, a trip to get nails done or a massage, sitting in nature, sitting quietly and reading a book, listening to music, diving into an organizing or cleaning project, exercise, a workout, a self-help video or motivational one, anything that takes the mind off of indulging or treating when a treat is not the best thing right now. Self care and resolve to not let anything move you from your goal. get to the root of what is driving the desire to jump the rails and face it head on. Get a long drink of water, sit with a warm cup of tea, meditate, pray, walk away. Remind yourself what and why you are doing what you are doing and how good it feels on the other side of it. BE UNSHAKEABLE. BELIEVE!!
I write this reminder, this cold February morning as much for me as for you.

And the rest I wrote was personal to our group.  Support is key and that is truly the foundation of our group.  We have a quick check in once a week and a regular Saturday morning chat where we share about our week, how we are doing, areas that we are doing well in and areas where we struggle.  It's so much more, we have become a family and we support each other in ways that go well beyond making healthy meal choices.  If you want to make healthy changes and join us, I'd love to help.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearing with the faults of others

Aside from the Bible my all time favorite is the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis and my favorite version of this book that has been reprinted in various versions is the Penguin Classic. I’ve had my copy for well over 20 years and it is highlighted and tabbed and falling apart but it is and always will be my go to!! During Lent I was so excited to pray with the Hallow App and the reason I was so excited was that they were doing reflections on the Imitation of Christ, and it was a blessed Lenten Season with Hallow and that blessing continues for both me and my beloved today as it has become a part of our daily routine. Which I have to say is anything but routine but joyously consistent. Back at the beginning of Lent I ordered a revised translation from Pauline Books, it took a few months but I received the book recently and have been loving it. I enjoy very similar translations to my penguin classic and I am blessed by the reflections and prayers at the end of each section. And

Usefulness of Adversity

  Today the reading I turned to was Usefulness in Adversity. For me it reminds me to draw closer to God, to seek His wisdom and guidance and to always remember that it is He who sees my heart.

Avoiding rash judgement

I love starting my day with a random reading from the Imitation of Christ!  Somehow it always seems to be just what I need to hear for that day.  This morning was no different, the reading was on avoiding rash judgement.