Skip to main content

A journey from my head to my heart


ROCCAMORICE - SAN BARTOLOMEO



One evening after dinner our cousin Gabriele and his family took my sister Irma, nephew Mark and me to the hermitage of St. Bartholomeo in Ligio.  

The cavern is located in the hills of the Maiella Mountains in the Abruzzo Region where our family lives. The hermitage is extremely old and dates back to before the 1200’s and the first hermits on Maiella and stands under a 50 meter long rocky ledge that is built directly into the face of the mountain and which can be reached by a sacred staircase, usually done on one’s knees.  This beautiful refuge is very remote, steep, and not easily accessible and is approximately 750 feet above sea level.     

The heights were dizzying, the fresh mountain air intoxicating with the sweetness of wild herbs and flowers and the myriad of vistas absolutely breathtaking.  

While standing on the ledge of the hermitage looking at the amazing work of the Lord’s hands I felt so very blessed and so very close to heaven that I thought I could almost touch the face of my Creator. 

Visiting the hermitage of St. Bartholomeo was one of the highlights of my trip and a moment of deep spiritual awakening.  When we returned home later that evening I remained sitting outside under the stars long after everyone had gone to bed writing in my traveling journal of that days experience and eventually writing a short poem that I titled “Maieletta” which in English translates to “Little Sweater”. 

I realized that our beautiful unexpected excursion to St.  Bartholomeo had brought healing and a deep sense of peace in my grief for my mother who passed away the previous November and whose pilgrimage to visit our family in Italy and the Shrine of her Patron Saint Gabrielle had brought us all together on this family trip.  

I have also come to realized that that unexpected visit to Roccamorice and the brief but powerful encounter with the Lord was a transforming moment in my life and the beginning of a deep and intimate relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  

And the blessings continued.  One morning before sunrise, Irma and I went with our cousin Gabrielle and his son and two of their truffle hunting dogs deep into the hills and woods high on top the mountain to hunt for truffles.  At daybreak we found ourselves in the middle of a clearing filled with butterflies, mountain peaks close in the distance.  Blessings and experiences that brought me closer still to my family and in particular to Jesus who I always knew in my head, but whom I was discovering in such an intimate and tangible way in my heart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearing with the faults of others

Aside from the Bible my all time favorite is the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis and my favorite version of this book that has been reprinted in various versions is the Penguin Classic. I’ve had my copy for well over 20 years and it is highlighted and tabbed and falling apart but it is and always will be my go to!! During Lent I was so excited to pray with the Hallow App and the reason I was so excited was that they were doing reflections on the Imitation of Christ, and it was a blessed Lenten Season with Hallow and that blessing continues for both me and my beloved today as it has become a part of our daily routine. Which I have to say is anything but routine but joyously consistent. Back at the beginning of Lent I ordered a revised translation from Pauline Books, it took a few months but I received the book recently and have been loving it. I enjoy very similar translations to my penguin classic and I am blessed by the reflections and prayers at the end of each section. And

Usefulness of Adversity

  Today the reading I turned to was Usefulness in Adversity. For me it reminds me to draw closer to God, to seek His wisdom and guidance and to always remember that it is He who sees my heart.

Avoiding rash judgement

I love starting my day with a random reading from the Imitation of Christ!  Somehow it always seems to be just what I need to hear for that day.  This morning was no different, the reading was on avoiding rash judgement.