Skip to main content

It is well!

 


“For thou didst form my inward parts, thou didst knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise thee, for thou art fearful and wonderful. Wonderful are thy works! Thou knowest me right well; my frame was not hidden from thee, when I was being made in secret, intricately wrought in the depths of the earth”

Psalm 139: 13 - 15

Grief and loss never go away, no matter the years, gratefully love and gratitude for the blessings always remain

How is it that 24 years can feel like the blink of an eye!

24 years ago today I sat by my mom's side, holding her hand stroking her brow and telling her how very much I loved her as she was drifting into the last few hours of her life.

The next morning, still by her side we said our last goodbye on this side of heaven.

I knew at the time that I had been given so many gifts:

The gift of a mother who to me was beyond compare and the strongest most amazing women of love, faith, courage, fortitude, perseverance and grace that I have ever known.

The gift of her love, her guidance, her model of character, integrity, honesty, dignity and honor.

The gift of being her youngest child, her unexpected surprise born to her at the age of 40 when her other three children were teens and young adults.

The gift of being a witness to her faith, her sacrifice and her bravery and courage through years of physical pain and silent acceptance of suffering, never losing her humor, her joy, her focus of family above all and her daily and constant unconditional love and sacrifice for her family.

And the gift of being right there by her side when she drew her last breath and was brought home in the arms of Jesus.

There is so much more to say - but for today, on the eve of my mom's 24th anniversary of her passing I can say .......

Sadness, loss and grief remain, not overwhelming, yet always present

My heart is filled with untold joy in the treasured memories and legacy of an incredible woman that I was blessed to call mom and whose love lives on in me and every member of our family

Remembrance brings abiding peace and comfort

Love beyond telling, gratitude, thanksgiving and hope remain

The bond of love shared is forever binding, transcends time and space and is always present

And while I miss her always, I know that she is at peace with daddy in the arms of Jesus and is looking down upon us with ever present, ever guiding love

...... And it is well!

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearing with the faults of others

Aside from the Bible my all time favorite is the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis and my favorite version of this book that has been reprinted in various versions is the Penguin Classic. I’ve had my copy for well over 20 years and it is highlighted and tabbed and falling apart but it is and always will be my go to!! During Lent I was so excited to pray with the Hallow App and the reason I was so excited was that they were doing reflections on the Imitation of Christ, and it was a blessed Lenten Season with Hallow and that blessing continues for both me and my beloved today as it has become a part of our daily routine. Which I have to say is anything but routine but joyously consistent. Back at the beginning of Lent I ordered a revised translation from Pauline Books, it took a few months but I received the book recently and have been loving it. I enjoy very similar translations to my penguin classic and I am blessed by the reflections and prayers at the end of each section. And

Avoiding rash judgement

I love starting my day with a random reading from the Imitation of Christ!  Somehow it always seems to be just what I need to hear for that day.  This morning was no different, the reading was on avoiding rash judgement.    

Usefulness of Adversity

  Today the reading I turned to was Usefulness in Adversity. For me it reminds me to draw closer to God, to seek His wisdom and guidance and to always remember that it is He who sees my heart.