Skip to main content

Morning Reflection this Christmas Eve morn


 It's Christmas Eve morning and I am excited for whatever the day brings especially the coming of the birth of Jesus and the blessings and grace that await each new day.

 This morning I’m also reflective with emotions and thoughts about my dad who died 21 years ago on Christmas Morning and my mom who died 25 years ago in November.  In my heart I know that they are together in heaven celebrating with Jesus and all those I love who have gone home to glory and that brings peace and comfort to my heart. 

 And along with it, so much gratitude because my parents left us with so many wonderful traditions and family memories, family was everything to them. They also instilled in us a spirit of gratitude and I am so grateful that never was there ever a time that I talked to my mom or dad that I did not tell them how much I loved them.

 I was by mom’s side when she drew her last breath and I saw the love in her eyes as she was leaving this world for the next.  And four years later I had the grace of talking with my dad less than 12 hours before he died. In that conversation he reminded me that I was his “baby girl” or as he would tell me in his sweet Italian accent “his littlest flower”.  Daddy was an avid farmer/gardener with the greenest of thumbs and with three daughters he would always tell me that he had three flowers. And I was the baby sister of the family and his “littlest flower”.  There is no sadness in these memories, only gratitude for the grace of them.

 However, over these years it’s been my experience that grief comes in waves.  Some years and sometimes the waves lap at my feet, others they knock me over with a power I don’t see coming. 

 This year I’m feeling the loss in a powerful way, especially because the past few years with COVID it has been difficult to see my family.  But a visit from my niece and her family last month, throwing myself into our family traditions, baking, cooking, sweet reminders, and remembrances that come to mind and together with my beloved, planning and preparing to host his families Christmas gathering brings a great deal of joy and excitement to see everyone and share a meal around my parents dining room table.

 And while there is certainly joy in this beautiful season and the birth of Jesus, it is also a time of sadness, loss, and remembrance of those who have passed on and are no longer with us.

 And in gatherings, missing those who can't be with us by distance, choice, circumstance, estrangement, strained and broken relationships, whatever the reasons, for there are so many different scenarios, situations, and circumstances as there are people.

 So, this year my beloved and I decided to do a Novena to the Holy Family.  We started on Wednesday, the 21st and will end on December 30th the Feast Day of the Holy Family this year.  We are praying for forgiveness, healing and reconciliation of relationships, the family tree and intergenerational healing for our families and all families.  And I would add to that intention my prayer for us all that the grace and blessing of this beautiful season brings peace, comfort, and deep joy to our heart in whatever tradition we celebrate and to our individual circumstances.

 And at the risk of offending and being preachy…….. sorry, not at all sorry ….. this comes from a daughter who loved and respected her parents and elders in general.  And misses them so much!!  I pray that if you haven’t talked to your dad or mom lately, grandparents, family….. that you find the courage to reach out in grace, we never know what tomorrow may bring.  This life is too precious and too short to have regrets.

 Lastly, I pray that wherever I find myself, that I am present to those around me and to the grace that always abounds, and I pray the same for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearing with the faults of others

Aside from the Bible my all time favorite is the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis and my favorite version of this book that has been reprinted in various versions is the Penguin Classic. I’ve had my copy for well over 20 years and it is highlighted and tabbed and falling apart but it is and always will be my go to!! During Lent I was so excited to pray with the Hallow App and the reason I was so excited was that they were doing reflections on the Imitation of Christ, and it was a blessed Lenten Season with Hallow and that blessing continues for both me and my beloved today as it has become a part of our daily routine. Which I have to say is anything but routine but joyously consistent. Back at the beginning of Lent I ordered a revised translation from Pauline Books, it took a few months but I received the book recently and have been loving it. I enjoy very similar translations to my penguin classic and I am blessed by the reflections and prayers at the end of each section. And

Usefulness of Adversity

  Today the reading I turned to was Usefulness in Adversity. For me it reminds me to draw closer to God, to seek His wisdom and guidance and to always remember that it is He who sees my heart.

Avoiding rash judgement

I love starting my day with a random reading from the Imitation of Christ!  Somehow it always seems to be just what I need to hear for that day.  This morning was no different, the reading was on avoiding rash judgement.