Skip to main content

She believed and so she did!!



The Hibiscus is one of my all time favorite flowers!!  I love them! 

No just because they are so beautiful, but because my mom lovd them and she had the most beautiful hibiscus tree that she would spend hours sitting under either relaxing in the yard after a day working in the garden alongside my dad or years later when she could no longer toil in the garden would sit in her wheelchair keeping daddy company while he worked in the garden.

The hibiscus started out as small plant that my sister-in-love Carole and my brother Jack got her for mothers day one year and under my mom and dad's loving and green thumb grew big and strong in the Texas heat.

When my mom's fragile and brittle hip began to cause serious issues she was confined to using her wheelchair and on occasion her walker to shift from position or cross small distances.  With the wheelchair she was no longer able to go outside on her own and she could not manage the stairs.

So my thoughful brother in no time flat built her a deck and great big cut out for the tree so she could go outside anytime she wanted to sit in her favorite spot.  Other than the picure on the front of my cookbook, this may be one of my very favorite pictures of my mom. She was in her happy place.

I am a lot like my mom, I love our backyard oasis and being outside.  In Texas the climate if good for that year round, in New England, not so much.  The first and only time my mom was able to visit my home she was mostly confined to the wheelchair. I brought in a hospital bed for her visit and built ramps so we could go outside on the deck, she loved it out there beneath the trees, that was long before the creation of the oasis, she would love it the way it is today and I know from her heavenly vantage place she knows.


My mom, Maria was the most inspiring and amazing woman I have ever known. She overcame struggles and obstacles from years of hardship growing up in Italy to a trek across the ocean with my dad and thier three children to make a new life in America, assimilate to a new culture and language while keeping and honoring thier native traditions as well.  Her story I will leave for another day, yet every day I am reminded of the lessons I witnessed in the every day living of her life.   Her fortitude, courage and strenght.  And her unwaivering faith, grace, overriding love and boat load of determination that she modeled as she she boldly faced and overcame every challenge and obstacle that came her way.  She believed in goodness and she gave herself to love and no matter her physical limitations as illness took more and more of her independence away, she simiply believed she could and she did.  

Whatever it was, "She belived, and so she did"

When my mom drew her last breath, it was a great blessing to be right there by her side. I remember going outside later that night, sitting under her tree, remembering the conversations we had, her laugh, her love and her joy and knowing that as much as I was already missing her so very much, she was at peace. She was no longer in pain and no longer suffering.  The next day I wrote her a letter and the day of her wake I picked a few of her flowers from her tree and placed them in the casket with her and in the pocket of her dress a single flower with my letter.  And until my dad passed away and the house was sold, I used to bring her flowers to her every time I visited the grave.  I always went when I would visit for holidays or a visit to see my dad and often on the holidays I would go to the graveside with some of my amazing nieces. We would bring her flowers, sit and talk and reminise.  Those same sweet girls on a given holiday or family gathering if I was not able to be there, would carry on the tradition.  

The gorgeous hibiscus that we had last year and planted in the yard has not come back from the harsh winter.  Our smaller yellow one came in the house for the winter and has been blooming steadily.  But I love the red one.  For mother's day my beloved got me a new plant that was blooming profusley.  We brought it outside and after a week or so the blooms faded but we noticed a number of buds last week.  

This week our hibiscus is in full and perfect bloom and along with the yellow has blossoms opening every day. 

As I was praying and thinking about the fearless and beautiful ladies in my online accountability groups earlier this week I was reminded how like my mamma, in many ways, they inspire and challenge me to keep my focus, remain accountable and to be the best version of me that I can be.

Thier grit and determination  to make positive changes in thier lives, and the amazing heart that comes from them in thier own individual ways, be it through the stuggles, accomplishments, set backs and start agains, the perserverance and the beautiful collective SOUL that shines through is a living breathing blessing and gift to all who participate in the sharing of the journey.  


So the other day I shared with my group, the picture of the first bloom from this hibiscus since its been outside along with the quote that I saw somewhere and have no idea who to give credit to, but that fits in so many ways.  The saying keeps resonating with me, I think it is fast becoming a theme.

And so this morning as my beloved and I had coffee and breakfast in the backyard oasis enjoying the plentiful blooms of the both the red and yellow hibiscus and the warm sweet fragrance of remebrance  I was moved to share this with you.   

And to again pay a little tribute to my sweet mama.

Is there someone in your life that has inspired you, whose witness, example, life and/or legacy helps to motivate and remind you of the power, grace and resilience that you have within you?  Who by thier example believed, and did?

If you are willing share it with me, I would love to hear about it <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearing with the faults of others

Aside from the Bible my all time favorite is the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis and my favorite version of this book that has been reprinted in various versions is the Penguin Classic. I’ve had my copy for well over 20 years and it is highlighted and tabbed and falling apart but it is and always will be my go to!! During Lent I was so excited to pray with the Hallow App and the reason I was so excited was that they were doing reflections on the Imitation of Christ, and it was a blessed Lenten Season with Hallow and that blessing continues for both me and my beloved today as it has become a part of our daily routine. Which I have to say is anything but routine but joyously consistent. Back at the beginning of Lent I ordered a revised translation from Pauline Books, it took a few months but I received the book recently and have been loving it. I enjoy very similar translations to my penguin classic and I am blessed by the reflections and prayers at the end of each section. And

Usefulness of Adversity

  Today the reading I turned to was Usefulness in Adversity. For me it reminds me to draw closer to God, to seek His wisdom and guidance and to always remember that it is He who sees my heart.

Avoiding rash judgement

I love starting my day with a random reading from the Imitation of Christ!  Somehow it always seems to be just what I need to hear for that day.  This morning was no different, the reading was on avoiding rash judgement.