Skip to main content

A new page for Joy in the Journey












Sometimes you have to shake things up a bit and that is what I am doing with a new program that has a bit more advanced workouts than I am used to doing and a timed nutrition that I am not familiar with.

But I am all about facing challenges and using them as an opportunity to grow and that is what both my beloved and I are doing as we Journey with Joy through 80 Days of Obsession.

What is 80 Day Obsession?  Its a program created by Autum Calabrese who also created the 21 Day Fix nutrition and workout program where I lost my first 50 pounds, got myself off all medicaitons including those for type II diabetes and high cholesterol and where I began holding myself accountable in my Joy in Journey back to good health and a healthy lifestyle a few years ago.

If you want details on the program and how it works, reach out and I can fill you in.  Suffice to say, it is a challenge for me. 

If you know me, you know that working out is NOT my jam!  I only workout because of the way it makes me feel, and how strong and confident it makes me feel in my skin.  And although I have done some challenging workouts over the past few years, this one is a real challenge for me as the workouts are advanced and depending on the day can be an hour long.

Yup, I know, an hour! But you know, when we want to do someting we find the time to do it.  And the other challenge is that the program has timed nutrtion which means work out blocks and eating on schedules. It sounds complicated, and at first it is, but once you learn a little about it and get into making your own schedule it is pretty simple.

My journey to a healthier lifestyle has also given me the blessing to dig deeper, get to know myself more, and work on my own personal growth and development. It has also helped me to be more consistent in my prayerlife and grow deeper in my faith.  Amazing how things tend to go full circle when you start working on yourself.

So one of the things that I know know about myself is that I do my best when I go ALL IN and commit 100% to whatever it is that I am doing.  I can slack like the best of them and I can easily get diverted off track, okay, let me rephrase that, I used to easily be distracted and head off track.  The difference today is that it takes a lot more to distract me and if I find I am veering off course, I auto correct and get right back on track.  It's a blessing and I think as a result of a positive mindset and a daily desire to live with purpose and intention.  

It's not always so easy to get my actions to line up with my goals, but when I am clear about where it is I want to go, to do and to accomplish and I have a driving force to be the best version of me that I can be and the woman of God that I was created to be, it's much easier to keep my actions in line with my goals and in the direction I want to be heading.

And that brings me to this morning. I could go on and on about the shopping list of excuses for not starting today, the never ending schedule that does'nt have time and the responsibilities and challenges that have me busy from sun up to sun down.......we all have them, every one of us, true strory!!   

But I don't have time for excuses or "reasons" why not, I want to be healthy, I want to help others, I want to live every moment of this precious life with joy in the journey and freedom of time to spend with my beloved and the people I love.  And I want to be healthy to do it.  

So we worked out our schedule, we planned our meals and shopping list, purchased what we needed, spent time doing our meal prep and took our before pictures, weight and measurements and we are commited to following our schedule and getting up at 4AM so we can get all the things we need to get done in the day, and that included our prayer an personal development time, and in the process we are going to ROCK this program that we have 100% committed ourselves to following.

One of the perks of being a Coach is that both my beloved and I are also in an exclusive Coach Test Group with the program creator Autum Calbrese.  With Autumn and whole community of other coaches, we will hold each other accountable and get it done each day.  

And our Joy in Journey Community is also blessed to have our Multi Program Group, because we are all at different places in our journey and there are members of our group who are doing different programs. The beauty is that we can still share the journey together.  Having a community and partners who not only share the journey, but help us stay accountable to ourselves and each other makes a world of difference and that I know first hand from my own journey.

So how was DAY 1 of 80?

Well, we got up late, we made a decision to sleep in as we had the day off.  That meant a later workout and meals for the day.  Which is all good, because we were up prepping most of our meals last night so all we have to do it heat them up in timing with our supplements, workouts and meals.  

The workout was today was Total Body Core and it was an hour long.  I did really well considereing it is more advanced than I am used to, I challenged myself and I stuck with it the whole way through.  I only modified a couple of time and frankly was very proud of my progress.  

Only hiccup was when my interlocking matts split apart and I came crashng down on my knees during the tricep pushups towards the end of the first set halfway through.  I was not down on my knees for the pushups and on my toes so it was quite a smack.  My left knee has been acting up, a bit of arthritis and maybe a little sprain, either way I have been icing it and dealing with some pain for the past week or so.  The beauty of the matts is that it makes it easier for me to get up and down and do pushups on the floor providing a nice cushon for my knees and stability when I am doing regular pushups on my toes.

When I use the matts I  can do the pushups no problem and it doesn't cause any additional pain at all, especially because most of my left knee pain has been when walking down stairs.    It was a dicey moment and a painful smack on the ground. But I took a moment, got right back to it, skipped the final reps of that set of tricep pushups and pressed on with out missing a beat and completed the rest of the workout.

Our nutrition has been on point, we are following the timed nutrition schedule and pre/post workout meal blocks and although it seems like a lot of food, we know it is fueling our bodies with the healthy nutrition that is going to help us get results.

We still have two meals to go today, thankfully one is  light and the other is our snack which for our program will be our Shakeology.  Athough we may end up having a later night than we planned tonight, I must say it was definately nice to sleep in to 9AM this morning.

I am thinking that this program and all the planning and scheduling that is happening is going to make overall postive changes that will carry us much longer than the 80 days.

If you are thinking  of making postive and healthy lifestyle changes, there is no better time than NOW to start!!

As they say, Just Do It!
  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearing with the faults of others

Aside from the Bible my all time favorite is the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis and my favorite version of this book that has been reprinted in various versions is the Penguin Classic. I’ve had my copy for well over 20 years and it is highlighted and tabbed and falling apart but it is and always will be my go to!! During Lent I was so excited to pray with the Hallow App and the reason I was so excited was that they were doing reflections on the Imitation of Christ, and it was a blessed Lenten Season with Hallow and that blessing continues for both me and my beloved today as it has become a part of our daily routine. Which I have to say is anything but routine but joyously consistent. Back at the beginning of Lent I ordered a revised translation from Pauline Books, it took a few months but I received the book recently and have been loving it. I enjoy very similar translations to my penguin classic and I am blessed by the reflections and prayers at the end of each section. And

Usefulness of Adversity

  Today the reading I turned to was Usefulness in Adversity. For me it reminds me to draw closer to God, to seek His wisdom and guidance and to always remember that it is He who sees my heart.

Avoiding rash judgement

I love starting my day with a random reading from the Imitation of Christ!  Somehow it always seems to be just what I need to hear for that day.  This morning was no different, the reading was on avoiding rash judgement.