Skip to main content

Not all meals are created equal!

Day 6 / 21

Have you ever dreaded something and then once it comes up it is not as bad as you imagined?

This experience with the a 21 day reset to help bring my body back into its natural balance is a little like that and the pleasant surprise is that it has been not only not as bad as I though it would be.  It is actually so much better than I could have ever hoped.

Now let me preface that, see this picture!  


Yup, that was us this morning at breakfast eating marinated tempeh with our steamed kale and his and her ration of avocado.  I was less than delighted with the tempeh and John was not thrilled with either the tempeh or the kale.  But we ate it!  


One of the things I am noticing is the flavor of the food, I was not really a fan of steamed kale, loved it in smoothies and sauteed with olive oil and fresh garlic but steam it, no way.  

That has been a pleasant surprise.  And more surprising we had it a day or two after we started and then again today and it seems like my taste buds are brighter and  the kale is tasting actually delicious.  I know I said delicious.  It is.  




The tempeh well lets say that neither John or I are a fan at all.  Maybe its the texture, or that even with the marinade it was basically flavorless and rather blah.  We were grateful to have the avocado to eat with it.







We are also grateful for the results!  I have lost 5.7 and John has lost 6.2 pounds so far.  I have been shopping in my closet again, finding things to wear this weekend that I have not worn in years and this morning feeling bold in my colorful leggings.  I have worn the leggings before but there was sure a spring in my step this morning being down close to 6 pounds in 5 days.

But that is not even the best part. Its how I feel, I have more energy, am feeling lighter in my skin, sleeping better and my skin itself feel amazing. I am sure that all that water and good hydration is doing its job.

The supplements have also not been a challenge. That is surprising to me because I don't like taking pills.  But that too has not been that bad and once we got the hang of the flow and the time frames it became easy to fit it into the day.  And this afternoon when it came time for my power greens I drank them right down and actually enjoyed it.  I started out wanting to hold my nose to get it down and today I focused on the power in that little drink, the kale, spinach, cucumber, celery, spirulina and chlorella and I could taste the veggies and it tasted good.  I told you my taste buds are changing.

The best part of lunch today was sharing it with my beloved.  We face timed again as we ate our lunch of microgreen salad, quinoa salad and toasted pumpkin seeds.  I love salads when I am in the mood for one.  But every day, not so much.  And I love my romaine and am less crazy about the baby mixed greens.  On occasion I love baby arugula with some goat cheese, dried cranberries, walnuts, asian pears and honey, lemon, thyme dressing.  I know, not on this plan, but you see that is how I roll with salads and I get tired of them quick.

I loved the 21 day fix because I could switch it up and have lavash bread and make roll ups and use bib lettuce to hold my turkey, you get it.  And on this plan it seems that the microgreen salad is king.  We have it alot!  Yesterday I made 6 of them because we have it three times between today and Wednesday.   I did add a twist and instead of alfalfa sprouts  added radishes.  It was a welcome delight for my beloved.  I have also come to really like the jicama and will now begin incorporating into our meals and salads long beyond the 21 days.

But I have to say, we made this Quinoa salad on Sunday as part of our fresh veggies with hummus lunch and made extra knowing we would be having it today and I love the salad.  I plan to post the recipe in my Journey to Good Health With Joy page.  I love it and told John that this for sure is making the grade for our summer oasis BBQ's.  And since I am not such a fan of the microgreen salad I took a few spoons today and mixed it in. It changed the flavor profile and was delicious.  Then I took the rest of the pumpkin seeds that I did not add to the salad and added them to the quinoa salad.  It was a great lunch!




 Preparation truly is key and so we took some time on Sunday to shop for some things we needed and to look ahead to the following phase and get what we needed to get us started.  It is the planning and preparation that helps to keep us on track.  The time we spend in the kitchen is totally worth it because we are less tempted to go off track if we don't have the foods that we need to have ready and available when its time to eat.  And we do it together and that makes it fun.  

John and I often cook together, its a passion for both us.  We are self-proclaimed foodies and I have been cooking all my life, come from a family of fabulous cooks, my dad was a chef so for us working side by side in the kitchen like my parents did is a natural thing.  But now instead of making homemade pasta and breads and many of the dishes we used to make a lot, we are cooking healthier and that is a beautiful thing.

But you know it's not always easy and even when you love cooking, there are times when you don't want to cook.  Being in the market was hard.  I wanted to go look at the delicious prepared foods they have, and they have a fabulous bakery where they are always whipping up concoctions and you can watch them.  And they have so many natural, organic and fabulous looking foods every where you turn.  Sometimes being in a market is for me what being in a candy store is to a kid who just got an amazing allowance and wants it all!! 

Thankfully, I did not give in to numerous temptations.  Stayed the course and got what needed and got the heck out.  But we came home from the market hungry.  Fortunately we planned ahead and brought our supplements and water with us when we left for Mass that morning so afterwards we were able to take our supplements in the car before heading to the market.

When we finally got home we left our grocery bags on the counter and set about getting our lunch prepared.  Then we got into unpacking and washing and preparing the veggies and fruits and a few of the meals for the week ahead. 






We also got set about getting our dinner of stir fry veggies and brown rice together.  The kitchen was a bit of  a mess for few hours but boy did we get a lot accomplished. 

Over the weekend when you would think we had more time knocked us off our routine a bit because its a different pace than our workday routine.  But of course that in itself is a blessing, its less regimented, we could sleep in a bit later if we wanted, spend more meditation and prayer time in the morning move with the rhythm of the day.   We made it work, we ended up having dinner both nights later than we wanted but it was no biggie.  We stuck to plan and that was what was important and we now know what we may do differently next week to get our dinner in earlier next weekend.


Tonight's diner is roasted root vegetables and a zucchini-cashew soup.  The zucchini- cashew soup is one of the meals we prepared during out food prep session yesterday.  It's a lovely shade of green.  Too bad St. Patrick's day is a few weeks away. Dinner is soon, we will be heating it up so I will let you know what we think.  As you can tell by now I'm not shy about sharing our experience! 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearing with the faults of others

Aside from the Bible my all time favorite is the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis and my favorite version of this book that has been reprinted in various versions is the Penguin Classic. I’ve had my copy for well over 20 years and it is highlighted and tabbed and falling apart but it is and always will be my go to!! During Lent I was so excited to pray with the Hallow App and the reason I was so excited was that they were doing reflections on the Imitation of Christ, and it was a blessed Lenten Season with Hallow and that blessing continues for both me and my beloved today as it has become a part of our daily routine. Which I have to say is anything but routine but joyously consistent. Back at the beginning of Lent I ordered a revised translation from Pauline Books, it took a few months but I received the book recently and have been loving it. I enjoy very similar translations to my penguin classic and I am blessed by the reflections and prayers at the end of each section. And

Usefulness of Adversity

  Today the reading I turned to was Usefulness in Adversity. For me it reminds me to draw closer to God, to seek His wisdom and guidance and to always remember that it is He who sees my heart.

Avoiding rash judgement

I love starting my day with a random reading from the Imitation of Christ!  Somehow it always seems to be just what I need to hear for that day.  This morning was no different, the reading was on avoiding rash judgement.